Use dimensional analysis to convert money from US dollars to foreign currency or foreign currency to US dollars.
content standard reference:
grade 7 Measurement and geometry 7.1.3 – Use measures expressed as rates and measures expressed as person-days to solve problems; check the units of the solutions; and use dimensional analysis to check the reasonableness of the answer.
1. Money Conversion PowerPoint
2. Money Conversion Worksheet
3. White board
Money convers Ion | 61 Lesson 6
Introduction of Lesson
Ask students: How many dimes are in a ten dollar bill? They are converting dollars to dimes.
Students will be able to use dimensional analysis to convert money from US dollars to a foreign currency and foreign currency to US dollars.
Purpose: When students travel to other countries, they must use the currency of that country. The Port of Long Beach is a major international seaport. It is important for Port employees to understand how to convert foreign currencies.
Dimensional analysis is using unit analysis to help make conversions from one unit to another. Review the five steps for dimensional analysis.
1. Read the situation. Identify the original units.
2. Write the original units as a fraction.
3. Decide what is the conversion factor for the new unit.
4. Be sure to set up the problem so the original units will divide out.
5. Simplify the expression and divide out the common units.
Check for Understanding
Have students work with a partner to make sure they have the five steps written correctly in their notes.
1. dimensional analysis - using unit analysis to help make conversions from one unit to another.
62 | Money conversIon
Use dimensional analysis to convert the units for this situation: