2-3 Student Center Activities: Fluency 2006 The Florida Center for Reading Research (Revised July, 2007) Extensions and Adaptations Use different rimes and words. Use advanced graphs with more fluent readers (Activity Master F.025.SS2 and F.025.SS3). Objective The student will gain speed and accuracy in reading words.
Materials Word family practice sheets (Activity Master F.008.AM1a - F.008.AM1b) Select target practice sheet, make two copies, and laminate. Words correct per minute graph (Activity Master F.008.SS1) This graph can be used to record 30-60 words correct per minute. Other graphs to record 60-90 and 90-120 words correct per minute can be found at F.025.SS2 and F.025.SS3. Timer (e.g., digital) Pencils Vis-à-Vis® marker
Students quickly read words in the same word family by doing timed practices. 1. Place two copies of the target word family practice sheets and timer at the center. Provide each student with a words correct per minute graph.
2. Taking turns, students practice reading the rime and words aloud to each other before beginning the timing.
3. Student one sets the timer for one minute and tells student two to “be\
4. Student two reads down the page while student one follows on his copy and uses a Vis-à-Vis® marker to mark any rimes or words that are read incorrectly. If all the words on the sheet are read, go back to the top and continue reading.
5. When the timer goes off, student one marks the last word read. Counts the number of rimes and words read correctly.
6. Student two graphs the number of rimes and words read correctly on his words correct per minute graph.
7. Repeat the activity at least two more times to increase speed and accuracy.
8. Reverse roles. 9. Teacher evaluation
Word Family Zoom
2-3 Student Center Activities: Fluency 2006